5 Things The World’s Best Life Coaches Do
Having spent the past several years in the personal development space, I have worked with and witnessed a ton of life coaching ranging from powerful transformative programs to sad smoke and mirror hand-holding.
The best life coaches offer programs that include five key elements to ensure a significant, sustainable transformation in your life and as a transformative travel coach I have been certain to incorporate them into all of our programs at UGO Impact.
The 5 key components of powerful life coaching programs are:
- They physically remove you from your current life. The best coaching programs in the world involve taking you away from your current life whether it be to a conference centre for 2-3 full days, a retreat in the wilderness or best case, somewhere abroad like Nepal or Tanzania which is what we do at UGO. Breaking out from your daily routine, getting away from the influence of your friends and family, stepping away from societal influence, and physically putting distance between you and your life allows you to gain a much clearer perspective, have influence-free thoughts, and provide time and space for personal reflection and growth. At UGO we take our clients far away from home and the familiar to remote, local communities where we immerse them in a different culture and rhythm of life.
- They challenge your current thoughts, ideas, beliefs, perceptions. Rarely do we take the time to think about why we think and behave as we do. A good coach will help you understand your thought patterns that lead to your actions and outlook. The best life coaches help you recognize your limiting beliefs that are holding you back, how your assumptions and interpretations of things are blocking you, and they will challenge you to recognize your fears and re-frame them. At UGO we provide our clients with new experiences that get them out of their comfort zone to create deep shifts in perspectives and surprising insights.
- They help get you into action. Knowing what to do and actually doing it are two very different things and a powerful life coach moves you into action. Beyond holding you accountable they will help you recognize and remove barriers like procrastination and avoidance by helping you identify what lies beneath. Great coaches will foster feeling motivated and inspired so taking action is easy. At UGO we create momentum for our clients through the impact work we do abroad and identify the internal and external obstacles they need to overcome to continue to be in action at home.
- They enhance your relationships. Creating significant change in your life can be difficult to do alone and your relationships are a huge factor in your happiness. A leading coaching program will help you foster and deepen existing relationships so that they support your transformation, something many life coaches overlook. Ideally a coaching program will provide you with a supportive community of like-minded people to go through the journey with you. At UGO our clients connect with each other in a truly deep and authentic way, becoming life-long friends. At the same time we work with our clients to enroll their family and current friends in their transformation. Between the new and old relationships, end up with a robust and nourishing community to support them.
- They support you to reach your greatest potential. You sign up for coaching because you want an amazing, fulfilling and happy life. The best coach for you is someone who will challenge, empower and support you to be your best self even when you have doubts. An incredible coach and well structured coaching program will help you reach and even exceed your biggest dreams and goals. UGO’s programs span 3-months to allow time for ideas and revelations to percolate and form, and the 1 to 2 week international experience abroad provides an opportunity to dive really deep creating long-term transformation.
If you are considering hiring a life coach be sure to check if they include these vital components in their programs so you can create the life you really want to live. And if you want to work with a coach that has a program that includes a volunteer trip to Costa Rica or Tanzania (and climbing Mount Kilimanjaro), be sure to check out UGO Impact’s 2020 programs.